Coombs Ponds, Stromlo Forest, ACT
The Coombs Ponds are located in the former Stromlo Forest, southwest of Canberra. This area will be developed into the residential suburb of Coombs in the next few years.
Our team provided a number of services for this project, including:
- a feasibility study for the ponds
- detailed investigations, laboratory testing and stability analysis
- recommendations and design of the dam embankments, zoning and drains/filters
- specialist advice during construction to ensure that foundation cut-offs were built correctly, and the zoned materials complied with the specifications, and
- the installation and monitoring of instrumentation of the dams, vibrating wire piezometers, settlement points and open standpipes.
In brief, Ponds A and B are zoned, earth fill dams, with vertical and horizontal drains.